As you can see, the children are really enjoying the snow. This year has been very unusual, as we didn't see any lasting snow until last Friday night. We had our first snowstorm in mid November, and got a foot of snow in one day! But then we saw above normal temps that melted all the snow, and left us with nothing until now. The best thing is that the temps are still above normal, so the children can get outside and enjoy the snow without freezing! AND...all the snowmobilers are breathing a collective sigh of relief...the snowmobile trails in Oneida County (which is where Rhinelander is located) are officially open as of 8AM today! For those of us who are from the south (yes, KC counts as the south when you live up here), it's hard to understand the impact of snow on the lives of people in this part of the country. But let me tell you, when the lakes freeze and the snow starts to pile up....everyone up here is happy! And I must say, it makes me appreciate the warmth of spring, the long days of summer, and the last few days of autumn more than ever before!
We don't have much going on this week, which is strange. School starts back up next Wednesday, January 3rd. We are all having trouble just sitting around and doing nothing, it's so unusual for us. My mom left yesterday evening, so today we just sat around the house goofing off and then took two of the cats to the vet at 120 for booster shots. I spent some time on the computer making plans for our trip over spring break in April, renting a car and looking at the cost of plane tickets.
Ahhh...spring break, we are so excited about our trip, it will be our first real vacation...where we aren't traveling to see family, or just spending a weekend a few hours from our house. Forgive me if I'm repeating something I've written before, I'm honestly too lazy to look back at all my journal entries and see if I've told you all about our plans already.
Well, we've rented a house in Pawley's Island, SC for a week starting April 7th (http://www.greatbeachvacations.com/book/house.html?PMSUnitID=DEJA). We are actually staying on Litchfield Peninsula, which is bound by the Atlantic Ocean on the east, and a tidal creek on the west. The house sleeps 12, so my mom, Pavan's parents, and maybe his youngest brother Duemani, and coming along for the week. I was able to find flights for all of us that have us all meeting up at the airport in Atlanta for a lay over, and then flying into Myrtle Beach together. From there it's a 30 minute drive (in the huge van I rented that seats 12) to the beach house. Then, it's a week with our family, on a beach, hooray! It makes me immediately relax to just think about sitting on the beach, soaking in the warmth and sun, watching the kids play in the water and collect sea shells. You know, I've been to the beach before. But I've never CRAVED the beach like I have since we moved to northern Wisconsin! The grass is always greener...huh.
Better get going. I am going to start making our plans for this summer...it's going to take some work to put together the puzzle of camps, summer school, family vacations, etc. The girls both want to attend Fort Wilderness, a Christian camp located just north of Rhinelander, AND Girl Scout camp at Camp Birch Trails, which is about an hour south of Rhinelander. I'd love to get Noah into summer school again this year, and probably Anna too. Kindra will be happy to hear she's officially too old for the summer school programs offered here!
More later!
Rebecca

No comments:
Post a Comment