I know, you are all shocked to see that I have less than 100 pictures today. The Black Hills are beautiful, but we just haven't been much of anywhere yet...that will change today though. We are planning a trip to Deadwood to see an original gold rush town, including a tour of a 100+ year old gold mine and a visit to the haunted Bullock Hotel. Maybe even a trip up the mountain to view the graves of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane. Should be some interesting pictures to come out of Deadwood...
Yesterday we ate the delicious breakfast Dad prepared over the camp fire. He made the most delicious biscuits in his Dutch oven, which I think surprised us all, him included! We had biscuits and sausage gravy and scrambled eggs, it was great. We picked up our rental mini van (a real relic...I think it was one of the original mini vans...) and then drove by Crazy Horse to take some pictures from the side of the road. Then we headed to Keystone to check out all of the shops and such. We looked at a lot of Black Hills Gold jewelry, and I finally found a necklace and earrings that I really liked. After that we headed into Hill City for a trip to the grocery store, and then back to the campground. We rested for awhile, had supper, and boarded the bus at 6:20 to head to Mt.Rushmore for the lighting ceremony. We had plenty of time to look in the gift shop and eat some ice cream before the ceremony started at 8. It was a very touching ceremony, I would recommend it for anyone...unfortunately when it came time to light Mt.Rushmore, the fog had rolled in and you couldn't see anything! It was like one of those bad postcards that are pure white on the front and say "Mt.Rushmore in the fog".
Better run, suddenly everyone is ready to go!
More later,
Rebecca

No comments:
Post a Comment