Tuesday, May 9, 2006

How can you tell if your fish is a girl or a boy?

I know I said I would write after Pavan got back in town, but he doesn't get in until late tonight so I thought I'd write a little now while I have the time. Pavan was scheduled to do his oral boards at 7 this morning. I'm not sure how long they last, but I've been sending positive thoughts and prayers his way all morning. I tried to call him a few minutes ago, but his phone is turned off so he might still be testing. He had to check out of his hotel room by noon, so I guess he's just going to hang out at the airport until 9 tonight. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but at least it's the Minneapolis airport. There's a lot to do there, and knowing Pavan he'll find a good book to read or take a long nap. He can sleep anywhere! I think it's a skill learned in residency, when you catch a few minutes of sleep whenever you can.

Anyway....I now know how to determine in your fish is a girl or a boy. When you wake up and your fish tank is covered in hundreds of little eggs, it's a girl! My angelfish (named Lazarus....which isn't the most feminine name) laid eggs. Fortunately, she's the only fish in the tank so I know we won't end up with hundreds of baby angelfish. The eggs stayed there for a few days, but today they are gone. Apparently she ate them, from what I've been reading online. And to think, less than a year ago she was very very sick and nearly died. She floated on the surface of the tank for 3 days, had some horrible sickness that killed every other fish in the tank and ate away all her fins. And now she's big and beautiful and fertile. HaHa. Of course Kindra is begging me to buy a male angelfish (not that I could pick out a male if I needed to....) so the next time she lays eggs we can have baby fish. Good thing Kindra is planning to become a vet, she'll need the knowledge to take care of the hundred pets she's planning to have.

I'm still trying to decide what we are going to do tonight. Kindra's dance teacher really wants her to come to two extra classes tonight, but Anna has gymnastics tonight. And with Pavan not getting home until 1015, I can only be in one place tonight. Right now I'm leaning toward taking Kindra to Merrill. Like I said before, both of her dances are in a competition so all the other girls have been practicing afew times each week, while she's only been there once a week. She's been practicing a lot at home, but I can tell she's worried about not being prepared to the same level as the other girls. And they keep making changes to the dances during their extra practices, and then Kindra shows up and gets really frustrated. Since this is her last year in dance, I think we should make it as good as possible. Which reminds me, I need to make some hotel reservations today. I can't believe recital is only 11 days away!

I wanted to let everyone know that my digital camera is repaired and on it's way back to me. It's supposed to be delivered today! Yea! So I should have some pictures for you tomorrow.

Rebecca

No comments: