Isn't it funny how we never even notice the "good" habits that our children pick up along the way? At least we don't notice them immediately. But those "bad" habits...we notice them quickly. Unfortunately, a lot of times bad habits catch us off guard, and make us laugh. Laughing at a bad habit is not a good idea...take my word on that! Children love to make their parents laugh...and are certain to repeat anything that makes you laugh. So no matter what funny (naughty) word pops out of their mouth, no matter what body function they announce in public, no matter what gestures they repeat....don't laugh!!!!!
Noah and Amaya both picked up new habits this week. At first Amaya's doesn't seem "bad"....but stick with me here, and you will understand. Amaya is finally tall enough that she can get out of the bathtub on her own. Seems innocent enough I suppose, but I really wish she still needed help to get out, because she has devised a really fun game. Fun for her at least. Every night after supper, Amaya and Anna head to the bath together. That way they both get clean, and I can get the kitchen cleaned up with help from Kindra. The past few days I have been in the kitchen, wiping off the counters, loading the dishwasher, minding my own business...when all of a sudden I hear giggling and little feet running down the hallway. Then....flash....naked Amaya goes running by. Naked and WET Amaya goes running by. She leaps out of the tub and takes off, and she's fast!! Now commen sense tells me that I can run faster than Amaya, but reality has shown me that she's nearly impossible to catch. Maybe it's because she's down so much lower than me, maybe it's because I start laughing so hard when I hear her giggling. Or maybe it's like that contest where people try to catch the greased pig....but you have to wait until she loses her balance or trips before you can catch her. THEN try to get a diaper on her, it's almost impossible.
And that's just the first part of this new habit....or new skill. Today I learned about the flipside. Noah was in the living room watching Finding Nemo, and Amaya was in the bedroom watching Spongebob (of course), so I thought I'd sneak into the shower real quick. I turned on the water, and while it was getting warm I turned to the counter and was putting my ponytail holder, necklace, etc. away. About a minute later I walked over to the shower, pulled back the shower curtain, and SURPRISE!!! There was Amaya, in my shower, enjoying the nice hot water....fully clothed! Not only can she get out of the tub on her own...she can get into the tub on her own too! I learned that the opposite of catching the greased pig, is wrestling wet clothes off the pig.
Now on to Noah. Yesterday Noah was wearing underwear, and I knew he'd been using the potty because every time I saw him, his underwear was on a different way. Inside out, sideways, backward. He likes to do things on his own, so I didn't bother him about it. Well, eventually I had a minute so I decided to empty the two potty chairs. I was surprised to find they were both empty. So I checked my toilet, because sometimes he puts this little padded seat onto our toilet and uses it. Nope, it wasn't there. Suddenly it dawned on me that he must have been peeing somewhere else.....so I asked him to show me where he'd been going potty.
He led me behind the fireplace.....and I wasn't very happy when I saw what he'd been up to! He had peed on the train table, on the carpet, in the lid of the container holding his train tracks. I was shocked, and more than a little bit irritated. It took awhile to clean it all up and shampoo the carpet, but later that night I was laughing as I told Pavan about it. Little boys....I guess they all figure out how to "write in the snow" sooner or later. And to think, I was so proud of him for not having an accident all day long! Like I said, just when you think you have it all figured out, your children come up with something you'd never even considered.
Anna made her first cake over the weekend. It was a dump cake, and was very delicious. I think Kindra was a little jealous, or maybe she just has a sweet tooth...because tonight she made us some brownies. I'm not complaining, but if they keep this up, my pants won't fit before long!
We found out today that summer school starts June 12th, which messes up our thoughts of driving to TX in June. We're not sure what we're going to do now, still thinking about it all. Airplane tickets are so expensive right now, I guess because of the price of gas being so high. And multiply that by 6....it's outrageous. We looked into taking the train, but it's a 22 hour train ride from Wausau, WI to Dallas, TX....and we'd have to get 2 family sleeper rooms to fit the 6 of us, which would cost as much as plane tickets. Do you see a pattern here?? Traveling with a family of 6 is so difficult, everything is designed for a family of 4. Wish we had an RV!!
We received 2 phone calls today, one from Nativity Preschool and one from Nativity Catholic School, welcoming our family to their school. So I guess that confirms it all, Noah will be attending Nativity Preschool on Tuesday and Friday mornings starting in the fall. And Anna will start 2nd grade at Nativity Catholic School in the fall. It's all very exciting.
I'd better get to bed. I received an email today about my camera, I was able to pay for the repairs online so they should mail it back to me within a week, I've been missing it and I'm sure you have all been missing the pictures too.
More later,
Rebecca

No comments:
Post a Comment