Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Spring, finally!

I think Spring has officially arrived in the Northwoods! We've had temperatures in the 70s this last week, and several days of rain and thunderstorms. The combination of higher temperatures and rain have really melted the snow! If you drive through town you won't see any snow, but here in the woods you can still find some patches of snow in the protected areas that haven't seen much rain or sun.

We've also witnessed our summer animals returning to the Northwoods. Last week I saw a bald eagle on our way to dance class. We've also seen the osprey returning to their nests (those are the birds that next on those platforms the DNR has built on the top of some telephone poles in the area), and I saw a loon on Boom Lake yesterday. We have a couple of ducks on our lake, just swimming around the edges since most of the lake is still frozen over.

We are getting eager for our move to be over with, hard to believe that 2 months from now we'll be sitting in our new house! A man from the moving company is coming over this afternoon to take a look at what we have to move and quote us a price. We did find out that the hospital in Sioux Falls is going to pay up to $7500 of our moving expenses, which was a huge relief! That means the difference between us trying to pack up and move all but the heaviest furniture on our own, and paying a moving company to pack up everything and move it for us!

I set up an appointment for Kindra to tour the middle school in Sioux Falls the morning of May 9th. I'd been meaning to get her down there, and when I finally checked their school calendar I realized their last day of school is May 16th!! So we were suddenly in a rush to get down there in the next couple of weeks! We will leave here the afternoon of May 8th, tour the school the morning of May 9th and take care of a few other things while we are in Sioux Falls (mainly switching our cell phones to Sioux Falls numbers) and then head backhome Friday afternoon. The last teen night at the YMCA is Saturday, and Kindra really wants to be back here for that.

The kittens are doing well, growing fast. Their eyes are just starting to open, I bet they will be all over the place once they can see! As it is, a few of them have started venturing off from Callie. Amazing how they can always find their way back to her, considering they are blind and deaf for now! We have homes for the orange kitten and the black kitten for certain....still needing definite homes for the other four though. We've had some people that have expressed interest, and if they all come through then all of the kittens will have good homes.

Gotta run, planning to buy some potting soil and replant some of my houseplants today. Sure hope I can find a good spot for them in the new house, they have all thrived in the kitchen window in this house!

More later,

Rebecca

No comments: