Thursday, April 20, 2006

Loons are back

The loons are back on our lake, as well as a pair of ducks. This was the first time I was able to get close enough to get a good picture of the loons, so I was excited about that. They are beautiful birds, but when they see you coming they usually disappear into the water and pop up halfway across the lake. Kindra was down by the lake playing with a ball, and the loons were just watching her, so I decided to sneak down there and try to get a picture, they must be getting brave!

We are supposed to get rain today, but I was surprised to see the sun shining when we woke up this morning. It's cloudy now, but still warm enough to have some windows open. The cats are enjoying the freedom to come and go onto the back porch. It's still early enough in the season that we don't have any bugs to worry about, so I can leave the back door open. Another month and the bugs will keep us from opening the screens.

Pavan and I have been making some really difficult decisions the past few days. You all know the problems we've been having with our house, and the overwhelming amount of work that is going to be required to take care of those problems. We have started to wonder if it's a good idea to put that kind of money into fixing this house, because at that point we will never be able to free up more money to add on the bedrooms we need. We are considering selling the house and the land (maybe keep 20 acres for ourselves) to pay off the 2 mortgages, and look into buying a house in town to live in for a few years. That way we could save up some money, get our retirement and college funds where we want them to be, and look into buying or building another house that will fit our family better. It's been hard to look at doing this, because this house and land mean so much to us. But we don't want to be slaves to a house, and don't want to put every last dime into fixing this house....and then never be able to sell it later if we needed to.

Our financial advisors came for a visit yesterday, from Minneapolis. We hadn't seen them in several months, so it was nice to visit with them. Their names are Ben and Andy, and they are about our age. They take good care of us, and are good friends too. We met them in KC when Pavan was still in residency, and they really helped us transition from residency to "real life". They don't think we're crazy for what we're considering with the house and land, and help remind us of our goals.....education for the kids, early retirement for us.....so it really helped meeting with them.

Kindra has her first basketball game today at 330. We have to head right to dance class from there, so she'll be exhausted tonight! Only a few more dance lessons until recital, whew! I won't miss our weekly trips to Merrill once this is over!

I want to remind everyone to be thinking and praying for my sister Becky and brother in law Donald. Donald's mother died Tuesday night. Also prayers for Allen. He's in North Kansas City Hospital for some tests to determine why his oxygen levels are lower than normal. Pavan has been keeping in touch with Allen's doctors, which makes us all feel better. I hate to say it, but having a family member who's a doctor....or even a nurse....makes everyone think twice about taking the best possible care of you!

Have a great day. I'll write more later.

Rebecca

No comments: